Friday, July 25, 2008

Florida Chick in Michigan

So I'm wearing a sweatshirt. It's the end of July - the heart of summer - and I'm wearing a black velour hoodie just to keep warm...this is definitely not South Florida. I realized it last night when I took the kids for ice cream and it didn't drip down their arm in a sticky mess...and when I had to turn the air off in the car because the kids were shivering...and when we slept with the windows open and had to all snuggle tightly together to stay warm. It's like Dorothy when she sees the Oompa Loompas and announces "Toto...we're not in Kansas anymore" (actually I've never seen the entire movie, but I'm told this is what happens - and, okay Oompa Loompas are from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) but honestly, it's much the same...we're definitely not in Fort Lauderdale.

It's funny the things that you begin to accept as normal once to adjust to the pace of a new surrounding. For example, we were sitting at a stoplight yesterday, second in line, when it turned green. The car in front of me didn't notice the color change so Kaitlyn looks at me and says, "Mom, honk the horn - this guys just sitting there," which he was. But even more surprising than the fact that my daughter was ready to honk the horn at this poor guy, was the fact that not one person in line was yelling out their car window or honking their horn at him. Now, we were all complaining to ourselves about this idiot who wasn't moving...but not one person threatened to shoot him for dozing off at a red light...something that has become part of everyday life down south...it's probably the heat - 100 degree weather could make anyone crazy.

I have to say that the cooler weather and calmer pace of West Michigan has many advantages (including not feeling panicky at the stoplight) for example, my hair looks fantastic! I flat ironed it yesterday and it has kept its sleek and smooth shape...no frizzy curls that sneak up on you because of the humidity index of 96. And there are coffee shops on every corner...this is a huge blessing to me because down south my only choices are the ridiculously expensive (but so worth it) Starbucks or the cheaper (and slightly bitter) Dunkin Donuts which has the scary drive through where I always worry that I might get mugged.

As different as my two hometowns are, I'm glad to have two places where I love to be, and to top it all off regardless of where I am, I'm less than a mile from the beach. So that's today's plan, brush my nice flat hair, take my time at thh stoplights and hit the beach...although, today I will be hitting it with a blanket and sweatshirt as well as a mug of off-brand coffee, and off course parkas and mittens for the kids!

Lots of Love from a slightly chilly Florida Chick

No comments: