Sunday, January 3, 2010

Freezing my arse off

I'm convinced that 50 degrees in South Florida is worse than 50 degrees anywhere else in the world (ok, it's probably worse in a few places) but seriously 50 in Michigan is almost balmy, it's possibly sweater weather, but you can actually get away with wearing shorts if it's sunny. Down here in SoFla, 50 degrees is the temperature in which people pull out their parkas and down comforters, you will see scarves, mittens, and in a few cases a ski mask (but that could also be someone just holding up the corner liquor store.)

I suppose the difference has something do with preparation. See down here in the south, we are prepared year round for 80 and 90 degree weather. We have stockpiles of tank tops, flip flops and Corona. When the weather dips, we panic. We pull out anything remotely close to warm weather clothing including boots and hats and tend to wear them all at the same time. Unfortunately for me, when I moved from Michigan I assumed that all of my cold weather experiences were behind me, the best I can do is a hoodie...a thin one.

South Florida houses are also unprepared for these dips in temperature. We have no heat in our house, which generally seems economical, but right now just seems really annoying. We also have no carpet, and due to the flood two weeks ago, we no longer have any rugs either, meaning that our entire house is laid with 50 degree terrazzo floors - think walking on cold cement. I did have a pair of slippers, but they too went the way of the dumpster after the flood, so I have resorted to wearing a pair of borrowed boots around the house in order to keep my feet from getting frostbite.

Ok, so I know you northerners are rolling your eyes and will probably write to tell me about your 7 degree weather, but really, let's face it, you knew it was coming, it always does. On the bright side, for all of you who get completely irritated when I boast about the wonderful weather is down here while you are suffering your first snow storm, feel free to laugh, knowing that since our bed only has a duvet cover (no comforter inside of it - why? it just makes us sweat) tonight Chris and I will be fighting over the Chicago Bears throw blanket and might just possibly resort to stealing Kaitlyn's snuggie in order to stay warm.

With warmth and love from the Florida Chick

No comments: