Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Florida Chick Makes a Threat

In general, I have to say that I have pretty good kids - I know that I'm biased...you don't have to email me and press the issue - but, that being said, aside from the whole "voting-for-the-opposite-candidate" debaucle, I have to say that my kids are pretty well-adjusted, polite, funny, and low ratio of mistake-to-success kind of kids... except for this past week.

Now, I blame this on their father and the fact that he's traipsing around London and calling us "chaps" on the phone - it's ridiculous, I think he even said "cheerio" today before hanging up - mind you, he's only been gone four days, but apparantly it only takes that long for one to become a true Londoner...as long as he doesn't expect fish and chips when he gets back...

Anyway, the kids...now, it's nothing major, just your garden variety excessive whining and picking on each other - the kind that seems 582 times exaggerated when you've been home alone with them for almost a week...and tonight I'd had enough. I have to say that I really didn't time it right, I suppose I could have controlled myself for another day or two, but today, I lost it a little, and honestly, I did the worst thing imaginable...I threatened to take away Christmas. I mean really, what parent does this? What parent threatens Christmas? The T.V., the computer, even the cell phone or friends - but Christmas? really? And to top it all off, we were standing in front of Santa's workshop ready to hand him his letters, ready to sit on his lap and pour out our soul. And then it happened - the last straw - and mother of the year that I am...I say, in a very calm and quiet voice, the one that each child knows as the serious mom voice, "if you continue with this behavior, you will not get to celebrate Christmas this year."

Ok, so I blew it. I did what every mother vows never to do...I said the first words that came out of my mouth before thinking them over. Honestly, I would never cancel Christmas...it's just not an option. But instead of being reasonable, rational...I blurt it out, and instead of sounding responsible...I sound ridiculous. The thing is, to my kids, I wasn't ridiculous - they believed me, which might actually be worse. Now, not only am I ridiculous...now I've become the Grinch...ouch.

Oh, the joys of parenting. Of working through issues and teaching values. Of building dreams and building lives. It's the best job in the world...but it's the hardest - and at the end of the day we all know that someday our kids will be in therapy with a psychiatrist who asks them about their childhood...and honestly, no one wants them telling their therapist that mom took Christmas away as a punishment for acting up in the line at Santa's Workshop. Actually, no one wants them telling their therapist anything but how wonderful their mother was and how she shaped them into the wonderful doctor/lawyer/philanthropist that they now are...on the other hand, I did get two giant hugs before bed tonight and I think they may have forgotten about the whole "threat" thing...or maybe not, but in that case, I may have found the best way to guarantee that they are on Santa's "good list" - at least for the next 22 days, and that, really isn't all that bad.

Lots of Love from a completely ridiculous Florida Chick!

No comments: