Monday, December 1, 2008

Florida Chick Celebrates the Season

There is something terribly wrong about celebrating the holidays in 80 degree weather. Don't get me wrong, I love the sunshine...hate the snow - but listening to Josh Groban croon "O Holy Night" while drinking a pina colada on the beach...that's a little much.

Ok, ok, so there's not actually a pina colada - but there is a beach, and flip flops, and tank tops, and air conditioning. I still order a pumpkin spice latte everytime I pass Starbucks...but there is just something not quite right about having to roll down the window while I enjoy it so that I don't break out into a sweat from the heat. This year, instead of driving slowly on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner so as not to go sliding off of the road because of black ice, we were forced to drive home slowly because of traffic on I-95. And even though we decorated the tree this year with carols playing sweetly in the background, I struggled to get a good picture of the kids because of the glare of the sun streaming in through the patio doors.

Now, snow has never been on my list of things that I miss about living in Michigan, but I have to say that every once in a while I'd love to slip on a sweater, heat up a mug of apple cider and watch the snowflakes flutter down while I listen to Christmas carols. I'd like to bundle up under a blanket, build a crackling fire, watch a football game, and enjoy the sparkle of the tree lights as they reflect off of the icicles hanging from the eaves. And then...as I continue daydreaming about all of the amazing Christmas memories that could be, I realize that although I don't have hot cocoa, or cozy blankets, or a fire in the fireplace (actually, I don't have a fireplace at all) I can still curl up with a good book while Josh Groban serenades me in the background, I can hang lights, and light candles, bake cookies (with the A/C on of course, so the kitchen doesn't get too hot), and when all else fails, I can throw on a tank top and flip flops, take a picture in front of the palm tree in the yard strung with Christmas lights, and send it to all my friends who had to shovel out their driveways before leaving for work this morning - because really, if I can't enjoy a little holiday weather, I might as well at least enjoy the fact that while my Northern friends are busy shoveling, scraping and bundling up, I'll be heading to the beach this weekend for the Candy Cane Parade, with a jewel toned pedicure and a new pair of flip flops to show it off...now that's a happy holiday!

With lots of love from a very merry Florida Chick!

No comments: